Saturday, September 19, 2009

In praise of the solid citizen

Ohhh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good
From Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

I've had a bloody awful week.

The awfulness has come as it usually does, from the place of my birth, Australia. Personal problems. Family problems.

And what do I do? I pick up the phone to call my Australian friends. Remind me, dear reader, if I have a problem with you-know-who - tell me - DO NOT pick up the phone. I'm relying on you.

Last night, when I received news that I was $1,100 poorer and had not paid for anything, I did the WRONG thing. I picked up the phone. And dialed.

And from then on, FRUSTRATION reigned supreme.

Friend #1 "Well she's only stealing from you because she hates you."
Me: "NO. She's stealing as she wants to buy Horse. To stick in her veins,"

I take some sort of sick pleasure in using the junkie-speak for heroin. But Friend #1 should face the facts. Nevertheless I feel really bad after her comment and get off the line ASAP.

I start to feel like I'm losing my grip on reality. Why would friend #1 say that? Was I dreaming? Is it a cultural thing? An American would be more sensitive. Have I been away from Australia too long? Or not long enough ...

Well THAT was helpful. Great. With friends like these.... And I dial friend #2.

Friend #2 - husband of - Me: "Is M there?"
Friend's husband (FH) "This is a terrible line."
Me: "I'm sorry, is M there?"
FH: "This is a terrible line."
Me: "I know but is M there? Just say 'yes' or 'no'"
FH: "No she's gone to .. to to ...um, to ... " (is he thinking? I'd better not interupt and disturb his thoughts or I'll NEVER find out. But after half an hour has passed my self-control fails me.)
Me: "Where has she gone?"
FH: "This is a terrible line."

I call it a day.

Me: "Nice speaking to you."
FH: "This is a terrible line."

Friend #3: "Well you can't be sure it's her. Wait till the banks open."
Me: "Good advice but I'm depressed."
Friend #3: "Don't be, but I must go now as I want to walk on the beach".

What's the matter with these people? I go to bed and watch crap TV. I sleep and dream of beaches, men who are hard of hearing, and daughters who hate. Fun fun fun.

I wake up. It's only 5 a.m. I eat and go back to sleep. The phone rings. It's C, an old friend from Australia. I've known C since school. She's the most solid of my friends. A good citizen. C is no artist, no drug councilor. She hasn't written a book, dined with Melbourne's upper echelons. I've known her forever. She's a Friend.

When We Were Very Young
We talk about nothing much. The weather. Her daughter. My son.

"How's E?" she asks. I hesitate to speak. Then it comes pouring out.

"I bet you didn't expect to hear THAT when you asked," I laughed. She giggled back.

I tried to relate the story with humour and we both had a good laugh. She listened.

And then

"Don't worry, Kate," C said. "You've done all you could. You've done more than most would do. You've nothing whatever to be ashamed of".

"Thank you C," I said. That's really nice of you to say that."

And I say it again.

Thank you Carolyn, from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Kate. We don't get a manual on how to raise 'em. And even if we did, it is a matter of luck; who they hang with, what they see, what they hear.
You've given it your best shot and that's all anyone can do.
Hang in there.
Bill

tim said...

Love the photo!

Post a Comment