Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Deja Vu on the M102

Even though a cloud’s white curtain in a far-off corner flashed
An’ the hypnotic splattered mist was slowly lifting
Electric light still struck like arrows, fired but for the ones
Condemned to drift or else be kept from drifting
Tolling for the searching ones, on their speechless, seeking trail
 For the lonesome-hearted lovers with too personal a tale
An’ for each unharmful, gentle soul misplaced inside a jail
An’ we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing - Bob Dylan, Chimes Of Freedom, 1964
Front Page of New York Daily News Nov 9 2016
Sitting on the M102 bus on my way to work. November 9, 2016.

Facing a row of New Yorkers like me. Commuters.

Staring straight ahead. No cell phones. No talking. Looking at nothing. Expressionless. We all knew what had happened the day before. And we all knew that we all knew. A shared feeling of shock and horror.

Where had I seen people like that before? Vacant. Gray. No words.

Then it came to me. September 12 2001. The day after our worst New York day. The day after 9 -11.

Later I read the Facebook posts and articles commenting on and analyzing how we had elected as president a man possessing no foreign policy, a bigot. A racist. A misogynist. An inarticulate man. A man who wants to build a wall. An arrogant man. Bankrupt on so many levels.  The orange man.

After work in the elevator, a neighbor - a NYU professor -  broke down and sobbed. "Some of my students were crying today," she told me. The Muslim ones and the black ones. They are scared.."

9-11-2001.
11-9-2016
No words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, a bad day. But it makes me realize that 50% of the population does not share my values. This was a kilt lifter and underneath is not what I expected. FortunatelyI live in a region that mostly agrees with my point of view but perish the thought of living in one which does not. And I'm not sure that the Australia I left in 1955, the land of the 'fair go' exists any more . So what's a person to do? Stay put, live out one's span and the devil take the hindmost. Fortunately I have no grandchildren to worry about nor do I believe in an afterlife to see what happens. Theirs is the legacy I would worry about.

Kate said...

I completely agree!

Fred said...

This is the result of elites out of touch with ordinary people. The choice looks bad (and it may so turn out to be) but only a totally non-establishment figure can make the changes to the current attitudes. Already the result of representative democracy in the UK is being white anted by the elite judiciary. Next step is revolution if the majority continue to feel betrayed. You never know Trump may be able to stop the continual printing of worthless money and the zero interest killing everybody's savings and pensions.

Anonymous said...

And who are the 'elites' Fred? People who value a 'fair go' for everyone. My mates are therefore elite, but they are not all white, educated upper middle class. Nope, there should be change but I doubt if the Orange Man gives a rip.

Post a Comment